In Viart Shop all products can have options assigned to them. For example a product option name could be ‘Size’, and have option values such as ’8oz’, ’10oz’ and ’12oz’ etc. When a visitor views a product that has those size options assigned to it they would be presented with a drop down box to make their selection.
Options can be set up for all manner of things: colour, size, weight, style . . . just to name a few.
There are two key parts to creating options:
- Create the option name
- Assign actual options to the name.
Creating an option name for a product
- In admin, navigate to the category in which the product you want to create options for is located
- In the ‘Products in (name) category’ box click the ‘Options and Components’ link, just under the required product. e.g.
- The option names, if there are any, will be listed in the ‘Options and Components’ box
- To create a new option name click on the ‘Options’ link under the option name list
- Option order: if there is more than one option name assigned to a product use this field to indicate the order in which the option drop down boxes will be presented to the customer.
- Option name: e.g. ‘Colour’
- Option control: can be left as ListBox in most situations. This will show a drop down box to the customer.
- Add option values (see below) then [Update]
- To add a new option value to an existing option name click the ‘edit’ link to the right of the option name row, then add the new option value under the ‘Options Values’ heading.
- These entries are fairly self explanatory but be aware that the price entries are variances from the base price. e.g. the base price of a standard item may be $100.00. If the Chome plated option was $20.00 more you would enter $20.00 in the price field. The options box presented to the customer it would then list [Chrome (+$20.00)]. In their cart the item would indicate the full price of $120.00
- Repeat for all option values then [Update] to save.
If you found this article helpful please feel free to leave a comment.